Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Book Meme

This idea comes from the English conservative political blogger Iain Dale; books being so important in my life, I thought I wd fill out these questions for myself, and I invite your answers to these same questions. You can answer privately or here in the public space, I don't mind. :)

1. Name one book that changed your life.
I can't say that a book ever has. Certainly my life would have been poorer without 'I, Claudius' by Robert Graves and 'Europe: a history' by Norman Davies, as much as any books I can think of.

2. One book you've read more than once.
So many of them... if I love a book, I read it again and again, and I can discover new things in it every time. One which I picked up again for the bazillionth time recently is 'Lords of the horizons: a history of the Ottoman Empire' by Jason Goodwin. Not written like a 'normal' history at all; more like a novel or a play, with a cast of bizarre characters and humorous, macabre anecdotes, not chained too tightly to chronology, but leaving you with a genuine feeling of having lived through a human experience.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island.
'The Isles', another Norman Davies history. I only understand Britain and England (two different things) when I am far away from it. And Davies' writing talent makes his books endlessly re-readable.

4. One book that made you laugh.
'Humorous' authors I like, such as P J O'Rourke or Hunter S Thompson, are just as often downright astonishing and occasionally deeply serious. For sheer fun, I like Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a small island'; this American lived in Britain for 30 years, and retains a sense of how lovably absurd us Brits can be.

5. One book that made you cry.
'Margrave of the marshes' by John Peel; this witty, unpretentious, sweet guy dominated British music for 40 years. Why do the best people always die before their time? Also 'Wild swans' by Jung Chang; how brutal life in China has been for most of the past 100 years.

6. One book you wish you'd written.
'Foucault's pendulum' by Umberto Eco; such a mix of ideas, humour, intellectual challenge, and (a nice change from this author) some characters I can identify with. If I could do something like this...

7. One book you wish had never been written.
Anything 'written' by a reality-show contestant or a model, for starters. :) Otherwise hard to think... even reading 'Venus in furs' by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch or 'Juliette' by the Marquis de Sade, though extremely morally challenging and at times repulsive, serve the function of making us go into the darkest and most dangerous hidden corners of our personality. If you want to read something you probably wouldn't normally want to read, try 'Chopper' by Mark Read; a former hitman from the Australian underworld details his crimes - but more importantly, subjects himself to rigorous self-examination as to why he (and others) behave in such a way.

8. One book you're currently reading.
'Collapse' by Jared Diamond; how human behaviour affects environmental change, and vice versa. And 'The golden age of myth and legend' by Thomas Bulfinch, a collection of the Greco-Roman myths (with others) from the Victorian period which greatly influenced that time's literature and thinking.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.
'Don Quijote' by Cervantes; lying around in both English and Spanish for years, I can't quite get started with it.... And 'American gods' by Neil Gaiman - all the evidence indicates he's one of our era's best storytellers. I must finally find out for myself.

10. Now tag five people.
Indres, Knur, George, brother, Tanya. I doubt whether they will answer, though. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your NLP used in the last sentence made me answer.

1. I. Kant 'The Only Possible Argument in Support of a Demonstration of the
Existence of God.' It just ensured me I was right believeing that God exists, because it's reasonable. However I'm far from believing in existence of the Christian God or any god that's being represented by any existing religion or any god that actually cares. I may be wrong here though.

2. I don't do such things usually, but I had to revise Huxley's 'Brave New World'.

3. 'Shakespeare Complete Works' Long enough to starve yourself to death before you finish it.

4. Pratchett obviously.

5. J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It just did.

6. Isn't that obvious? The Bible.

7. A. Hitler 'Mein Kampf'.

8. I. Kant 'Critique of Pure Reason.'

9. S. Freud 'The Interpretation of Dreams'

10. I won't.

6:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Industrial Society and Its Future. Deeply nihilistic and heroic simultaneously. Following a brief period of denial and attempts to discharge the crap out of my head, I absorbed the data and am glad to have done so. Tackles both "green" leftist delusions and the progressivist crap the Enlightenment left us to deal with.
2. Dzienniki gwiazdowe by Lem. Smart, cerebral, existential hard SF. I even used it for my oral matura.
3. Safe and Reliable Personal Teleportation for Dummies, published in 7452 AD, preferably a good Polish translation. Apart from that - the Pali Canon, if you can call that a book.
4. Lately, Krawędź snu by Marcin Wolski. Included: sex, violence, a load'a witty gags.
5. The Hobbit, when I was eleven. The death of Thorin Oakenshield. Lately, the sudden death of another character in Dukaj's Inne pieśni left me down for the rest of the day, but since I didn't weep, it probably doesn't qualify.
6. On the Freedom of the Will by the mighty Arthur Schopenhauer. Philosophers don't come up with anything new - they're just capable of putting it into the right words.
7. One? ONE?! I wish a whole deal of worthless writer-vomit wasn't written or at least published. Ever thought how many more forests we'd have by now? Ever thought how much time we'd gain having not wasted it on reading trendy literature in order to have an opinion before condemning it?
8. Czarna msza, an anthology of Polish klerykal fiction short stories.
9. Being and Time by Heidegger (heidnischer Neger? OMFG!!!!1). I don't give a damn that analytical smartasses constantly accuse him of having nothing to say and that he started the postmodern trend of using clever vocabulary and labyrinthine syntax to make it sound wise. So far, I've been detracted from reading this book by more palatable stuff, but I'm not going to give up that easily.
10. Advah, Jagodah, Arthur Schopenhauer, Spinoza Ray Prozak, Varg Vikernes. I'm counting on the former two.

10:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Master and Margaret. I fell in love because of it. And I've got about 5 editions of Master... None of them is worth more than 10 zl.
2. Harry Potter. Yes, THAT Harry. You just have to stop pretending a smart grown-up sometimes. Which I never did, anyway :P
3. DIY: Boats from sand and water. I don't think I would be alive in 7452 AD, Maks.
4. Fear and Trembling by Amélie Nothomb. It's INCREDIBLY funny and it's about JAPANESE which makes it probably one of my favourite books.
5. There was one book which made me cry when I was about 10 years old and as soon as I remember it was about a girl who fell in love with a boy ("it's always about men and women"). And at the end he dies of cancer. Since then, I have never cried while reading a book. I'm insensitive and cynic. Am I?
6. Fear and Trembling by Amélie Nothomb, again. The best thing you can do for people is make them laugh. And George, Bible wouldn't have it's power if it was written by one person. Unless, there is something you are not telling us about :)
7. Every book has it's charm. That's my opinion.
8. It's only rock'n'roll! by Jerzy Wertenstein - Żuławski. Believe me or not, it's for my studies. Sociology rocks!
9. Der Wille zur Macht. I finally got it but don't have time to read it.
10. I have no friends and no idols. Whom am I suppose to tag? :)

11:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Hmmm, so far there no book that changed my life, but Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, is really change my perpective in seeing nature.

2. I like to re-read my favorite books, the last book that I re-read is Maximum city: Bombay by Suketu Mehta, somehow the story of Bombay reminds me a lot to two cities in Indonesia, Jakarta and my hometown Bandung.

3.Being a practical person: SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild in any climate on Land or at Sea

4.How about two books? Cacht-22 by Joseph Heller and an Indonesian book called: Durga Umayi by Romo Mangun. The Indonesian book is a historical satire of Indonesia history, never fail to make me laugh. Anyway, you should very familiar with "official history" of Indonesia issued by Soeharto government to appreciate this book.

5.There was a book that make me cry when I was kid, but re-read again now, I won't. There was another book that make me cry when I was teenager but it failed to move my heart now. The lattest book that make me cry is American Pastoral by Philip Roth.

6.Being aware that I don't have enough talent to write a good book, there are lots of book that I wish I could write...

7.In this case, I agree with Adva.

8.Just finished 'The Known World' by Edward P. Jones.

9.Momo by Michael Ende. It's a gift from my dear friend to encourage me to learn German again. (Yes, the book is in German and that's the reason why I postpone to read it)

10. I will put this book-meme in my multiply

9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home